Output File IO

From: Bill Gammill
Subject: Output File IO
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 17:56:32 -0600

Confession:  I'm a TrueType newbee

I have an idea for a font creation program.  I was researching
my idea and I found the freetype site.

I want to programmatically create a font.  Not simply modify
one.  Perhaps I am biting off more than I can chew.  Stuff I
read points in the direction of: read an existing font, modify
it, rename and file.  Is the later a better option the then
former.  Or does freetype provide an option to create a brand
new font file.  I did not find one in my initial, cursory,
search of your library. Or, does freetype need that functionality?
(If I do it and freetype needs it, I'll share it.  BIG if!)

One more question, if I may.  I have been searching for "How To"
books on how the internals of TrueType work. How to read, modify,
save, and programmatically install a font. Ideally a "hand it to
me on a platter": how to write a font creation program.  I don't
find one.  I don't find much on programing fonts at all. This project
isn't going to be easy!  Does anyone have any books they would care
to recommend to me.

On the belief that this post is more an aggravation to the list
than a help, you might want to reply directly to me rather than
bother the entire list.  If I get a nice list of recommended books
I'll post a composite.

Thanks much
Bill Gammill
address@hidden