Re: [ft-devel] Improve the 'ftinspect' demo program

From: Triplex
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Improve the 'ftinspect' demo program
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 14:24:17 +0530

Copying mail to list

Hello,

Thanks for the earlier reply.

So, I was looking through the current features in ftinspect and have a few questions regarding the same.

* The gamma slider doesn't actually affect the glyphs in ftinspect. Is that right?

* So there is a thread mentioning ftdump functionality in ftinspect with the patch attached but I don't think that it's been used. Any specific reasons?

* Does ftbench specifically needs GUIfication? Since it measures the performance of common FreeType operations.

* What about ttdebug? Should that be considered for the GUIfication? If yes, won't it limit the features for other demo programs within the given GSoC timeframe?

* I think GUI tools like ftstring, ftmulti or ftview could be combined under the same unified UI with all the options. What do you think?

Also, I started working on my proposal and would appreciate any suggestions you and other project members might have.

Regards,
Veeki

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 6:01 PM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> I had a look at the GSoC project ideas, and am interested in
> "Improve the 'ftinspect' demo program".

Great!

> I've taken a look at the freetype2-demos repository and the current
> state of ftinspect.  I would like to ask a few questions:
>
> 1) This project has been in the ideas list for a while now.  Is it
>    low priority or has its scope changed?

No and no.  It's just a lack of time that there isn't further
development.

> 2) I see that there are a bunch of CLI utilities in the demos
>    repository (ftlint, ftbench, ftdebug, ftdump,ftvalid).  Should
>    they be considered for GUIfication?

The features of those programs (which partially overlap) should be
eventually integrated into `ftinspect'.