Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal

From: Dmitry Timoshkov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 22:06:31 +0800

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> I want to work on your project titled "Replace FreeType's tracing
> >> and debugging facilities with an external logging library".  You
> >> have mentioned that there are platforms where stderr is not
> >> accessible.  Can you give me an example of such a platform?
>
> Windows in GUI mode.

Since I was working on adding support for Windows fonts to Freetype,
and I had to use the Freetype built-in logging facilities probably
I could share a bit my own experience of using it. First of all
the Freetype logger is perfectly sufficient for productive work.
If a developer believes that she/he needs to change the logger of
a project she/he starts to work with - that's good sign that this
developer has slightly distorted priorities. For instance has anyone
heard anything about the logger during last years GSoC? And next
(but not last) thing is that it's possible to redirect stderr to
a file even in Windows GUI mode. So, this platform doesn't need
anything changed from Freetype's logger side of things.

--
Dmitry.