Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal

From: Dmitry Timoshkov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 09:59:01 +0800

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > If a developer believes that she/he needs to change the logger of a
> > project she/he starts to work with - that's good sign that this
> > developer has slightly distorted priorities.
>
> Well, it is a nice GSoC project IMHO.  Not that I would implement it
> by myself...

Current logging code is perfectly fine IMO, it would be nice to hear
from the long time Freetype contributors whether they would like to
see it changed. Frankly an opinion from an external developer doesn't
qualify and shouldn't be accounted for at all.

> > For instance has anyone heard anything about the logger during last
> > years GSoC?
>
> The idea to add a logger library is just a few months old.

I mean that even if a GSoC student working on adding some functionality
to Freetype (and who apparently was new to Freetype) never complained
about the logging functionality then the logging code is not a problem
at all. That doesn't mean that the logger shouldn't be improved, but
throwing away current implementation is not a very wise decision.

> > And next (but not last) thing is that it's possible to redirect
> > stderr to a file even in Windows GUI mode.
>
> Really?  How?  AFAIK, you need some explicit code in the program to do
> the redirection.  If this code is missing, nothing will happen.

Of course the developer needs to write 5-10 lines of code to make it
possible. That doesn't sound like a huge amount of efforts.

--
Dmitry.