Re: [ft-devel] Integrating Docwriter into FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Integrating Docwriter into FreeType
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:02:12 +0200 (CEST)

> The `make refdoc-venv` or equivalent will be the easiest way to
> build the docs because that will create a virtualenv, install all
> required packages in it and build docs. All this without touching
> the user's python configuration.
>
> The only requirement for this is availability of pip and virtualenv.

OK.  Let's try the following route.

(0) Make docwriter a PyPI package.

(1) Add a check for (a) `python', (b) `pip', and (c) `docwriter' in
    FreeType's `configure' script.  If one of those Python components
    is not available on the system, emit a warning that `make refdoc'
    will fail.  This warning should be shown at the end of a
    `configure' run so that it isn't lost in the large number of
    tests.

    For `make devel', don't do anything special.  Simply assume that
    `python', `pip', and `pip docwriter' are already installed.

Having a `make refdoc-venv' target is an optional bonus (which should
be documented also), but I think it's better to not be the default
since it needs internet access by default.