Re: [ft-devel] Integrating Docwriter into FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Integrating Docwriter into FreeType
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 22:55:34 +0200 (CEST)

> Why not just require virtualenv (Python 3 comes with the venv module
> built-in and doesn’t need anything else),

I know you are a BIG fan of Python 3, but not everybody has it as the
default...

> automatically make a virtual environment in the working directory
> (pip should be installed automatically in it and if not, a call to
> `python -m ensurepip` in the venv fixes that) and use it from the
> Makefile?

This obviously needs internet connection, right?  What I want is a
separation between setting up the environment and calling the Makefile
– the latter should work offline, too.

> Would save the user a lot of hassle.  Stuff inside the venv (at
> least with the venvs created by Py3’s venv) can be directly called
> like `venv/bin/python -m …` or `.\venv\Scripts\python -m …` without
> activation.

As mentioned in another e-mail, I don't disagree in general.  If this
is the way to go, so be it.  Nevertheless, I prefer a `classical'
solution if possible.