Re: [ft-devel] Theme designs for the FreeType Website

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Theme designs for the FreeType Website
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 18:32:36 +0200 (CEST)

>> I suggest that you remove the string `The FreeType Project' in the
>> top left corner, only putting the house symbol there – or maybe
>> integrating the house symbol into the navigation bar.
>
> The house symbol wasn't looking quite right there. Changed it to
> read just 'FreeType', which links to the homepage.

Mhmm, I think this is suboptimal; it doesn't look appealing to me.  I
suggest to drop it completely – we have a `Home' button already.

> I've adopted the following convention:
>
> * Home page: Blue
>
> * Top level pages, TOCs, etc.: Light green (`-60`).
>
> * Inner pages, docs, etc.: Dark green (`-90`).

OK, thanks; we can later fiddle around with colors if necessary,

> Colors in side navigation, active link colors and some other parts
> match the 'theme' of the top bar.

Great!

> I have completed the porting of 'FreeType Glyph Conventions' to
> markdown.  The final output can be seen at:
>
>   https://www.dxdy.ooo/freetype-web-jekyll/docs/glyphs/
>
> Please check if everything looks fine, and if any changes are
> required.

Looks good, with some exceptions.

* The font size for code blocks looks very small to me compared to the
  surrounding text font, see attached image.

* The left navigation menu with its fixed position becomes far too
  long if I press the `Expand All' button.  In particular, the
  `Collapse All' button is no longer reachable.  It seems that some
  JavaScript code is necessary to make the menu scrollable if it
  becomes taller than the browser window's height.

* What do you think about `next section' and `previous section'
  buttons or links at the end of each chapter if `FreeType Glyph
  Conventions'?  If I toggle the `Nav' button to hide the left-side
  menu, there is no navigation available on the section level.

    Werner

PNG image