Re: [ft-devel] Theme designs for the FreeType Website

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Theme designs for the FreeType Website
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 20:31:38 +0530

> I have changed the topbar to integrate the FreeType logo and colors.
> Please have a look and let me know what you think!

Nice!  I suggest that you remove the string `The FreeType Project' in
the top left corner, only putting the house symbol there – or maybe
integrating the house symbol into the navigation bar.

The house symbol wasn't looking quite right there. Changed it to read
just 'FreeType', which links to the homepage.

> I noticed quite a lot of versions of the logo in
> https://www.freetype.org/image/ .  Please explain how the color
> changes depending on the nesting depth, so that I can integrate it
> to the website.
>
> Currently, the topbar is by default green (#065E23) unless the
> frontmatter of the page explicitly defines the theme to be blue, in
> which case it is set to #06435E.

No particular order, IIRC.  Attached is the stuff that I've used to
generate the `fond3_*.png' files from `fond2.png'.

Thanks, I've adopted the following convention:

* Home page: Blue

* Top level pages, TOCs, etc.: Light green (`-60`).

* Inner pages, docs, etc.: Dark green (`-90`).

It would be nice to harmonize the remaining colors of the page with
the top bar also.

This is done! As an example, check the homepage and the documentation
home. Colors in side navigation, active link colors and some other parts
match the 'theme' of the top bar.

It is also easy to add new color themes. The instructions are in the commit
message at

  https://github.com/nikramakrishnan/freetype-web-jekyll/commit/611d001b787f65425ce52e35fa122e4446094e41

I have completed the porting of 'FreeType Glyph Conventions' to markdown.
The final output can be seen at:

  https://www.dxdy.ooo/freetype-web-jekyll/docs/glyphs/

Please check if everything looks fine, and if any changes are required.

--
Nikhil