Re: [ft-devel] those OVERFLOW_* macros and Fontval b69 (Re: Freetype-dev

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] those OVERFLOW_* macros and Fontval b69 (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 149, Issue 5
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 00:58:58 -0700

I also find all those changes a distraction that make the code look uglier for no gain.  IMO warnings are just that: warnings.  When they don't make sense, one should turn them off, not bend the code to go around them...  But then again that's my personal opinion and how I maintain my code. :)

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 8:15 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> However, the majority of input data in most formats are deltas, and
>> here you would have to check after every addition, subtraction, or
>> multiplication whether you get something `unreasonable'.
>
> BTW are you aware of gcc's and clang's built-in functions that perform
> arithmetic with overflow checking?  Maybe they could help.
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Integer-Overflow-Builtins.html

Thanks, I know these functions.  They would help if I wanted to do
something in case of overflow.  However, I want to do *nothing*, so I
simply use casts.