Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:05:15 +0200 (CEST)

>> Please post a URL where I can download the Ubuntu font you've used.
>
> http://font.ubuntu.com

Thanks.

> The original 'o' in Ubuntu appears more circular - more symmetrical
> in both x and y directions - but the autohinted 'o' appears 'egg'
> shaped with x symmetry but the top is thinner than the bottom.

Hmm, I can't repeat those results with ftview.  Regardless what I do,
I don't get the egg-shaped `O' glyph at 27ppem.

Attached is a magnification of ftview's normal AA rendering with a
gamma value of 1.  This is font Ubuntu-R.ttf, version 0.71.2,
converted with ttfautohint.

As can be easily seen, the `O' glyph is completely symmetrical in
the y direction.

I've also attached a snapshot of a bytecode debugging session of
FontForge, showing the result after all instructions have been
applied.  Again, everything is symmetric vertically.

Something looks fishy (or rather egg-headed) on your side, Vern...

    Werner

PNG image

PNG image