Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install

From: vernon adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint: How to install
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 09:15:59 +0100

I have added detailed shots to http://code.newtypography.co.uk/?p=898

At 400% magnification the difference does not look so great, but at 100% the difference in rendering is noticeable. I'll leave hinting interpreation to the experts, but to my eyes the vertical extremes of curves are not being flattened quite enough, thus creating extra sub-pixels (see the 400x magnifications).  This seems to be the opposite of what is happening at other px sizes where the vertical extremes of curves tend to get overflattened, e.g. the 'O' at 15, 19, 21px.

-vern