Re: [ft-devel] Question related to freetype 2.3.7 function FT_OpenType_V

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Question related to freetype 2.3.7 function FT_OpenType_Validate()
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:06:47 +0100 (CET)

> When a valid (ie not NULL) pointer to an OpenType table is returned
> after a call to FT_OpenType_Validate(), are the fields of this table
> initialized?

Yes, the requested table is loaded as-is.

> As a sanity check, we tried to check the version number which turned
> out to be always zero.  Is this acceptable?  We think that the
> version should be at least 0x00010000 which after the documentation
> is the initial value of the version number attribute.

It's a bug in your test program: The values are always in Big endian
order as in the font; however, you are relying on the endian-ness of
your platform.  For example, after testing a `GDEF' table, the first
four bytes are

  GDEF_table[0] = 0
  GDEF_table[1] = 1
  GDEF_table[2] = 0