Re: [ft-devel] freetype crashes in Mac OS X

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype crashes in Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 02:53:23 +0900

Dear Tim,

Great thank you for hard working to track down the problem.
Sorry, now I have to disconnect the network to go Norway,
but here I send a quick reply.

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:41:07 +0000
Tim Lyons <address@hidden> wrote:
>I believe I have now tracked down the problem, and I think it is due
>to a peculiar font file, but was masked by a build discrepancy.
>
>I had built freetype without any parameters to configure, with the
>consequence that the compile parameters were:
>-c -Wall -g -O2 -DFT_CONFIG_OPTION_SYSTEM_ZLIB -DDARWIN_NO_CARBON -
>DFT_CONFIG_CONFIG_H="<ftconfig.h>" -DFT2_BUILD_LIBRARY -
>DFT_CONFIG_MODULES_H="<ftmodule.h>"
>
>This worked even with the funny font.

OK.

>MacPorts ran configure with:
>org_release_ports_print_freetype/work/freetype-2.3.5" && ./configure
>--prefix=/opt/local --with-old-mac-fonts'
>with the result that the compilation options were:
>-c  -O2 -DFT_CONFIG_OPTION_SYSTEM_ZLIB -DHAVE_ANSI_OS_INLINE=1 -
>DFT_CONFIG_CONFIG_H="<ftconfig.h>" -DFT2_BUILD_LIBRARY -
>DFT_CONFIG_MODULES_H="<ftmodule.h>"
>which resulted in scanning many more fonts (this mislead me in my
>previous diagnosis) and crashed on the peculiar font file.

OK. There is significant difference: your own building
has "-DDARWIN_NO_CARBON", but MacPorts doesn't have it
and has "-DHAVE_ANSI_OS_INLINE". Your binary uses a
Carbon-free suitcase font support, but MacPorts binary
uses legacy Carbon-dependent suitcase font support.
I guess, the Carbon framework on Mac OS X 10.4 for PPC
G5 is incompleted and Carbon-dependent suitcase font
support in FreeType2 does not work well.

Why MacPorts' option differs from yours? I guess, the
reason is that the options are automatically set by
configure script: if configured on Mac OS X with working
Carbon, options are set to use it as MacPorts. if
configured on Mac OS X with broken Carbon, options are
set to ignore it as yours.

>__Should I be using --with-old-fonts on Mac OS X 10 with PPC G5?__
>I don't understand what I should be doing from the various read-me
>files.

Sorry for confusing document, I have to revise it.
More easier and detailed documents to avoid such
trouble is needed. I will write next message about
following part of your mail within a week (if I
could connect to the internet from Norway),
please wait it.

Regards,
mpsuzuki