Re: [ft-devel] freetype crashes in Mac OS X

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype crashes in Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:35:03 -0500

On Mar 28, 2008, at 12:53, Tim Lyons wrote:

FT_New_Face() tries /System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.dfont

This file is (I think) bundled with Mac OS X. Its version 5.0d8e1 dated 22 Aug 2005. I tried moving the font out of the way, but this messed up some displays on the system, and it still seemed to fail in the same place.

Lucide Grande is the Mac OS X system font... FontBook on my 10.4.11 system says it's version 5.0d8e1 from 2005-1-27. On disk, the file was last modified 2007-03-10, is 2244215 bytes, and its sha1sum is 634427accc111c7abe667c207df4904d4ad3c4d5.

I am copying this Ryan, who is the maintainer of the freetype portfile, but he has already told me that he does not know how to build software so symbols are present, so maybe he cannot help.

Ryan, do you know what options are used in the build of freetype?

You can see what options are specific to freetype by looking at the portfile, via "port cat freetype" or (if your EDITOR environment variable is set up properly) "port edit freetype". Or you can see where the portfile is on your hard disk with "port file freetype" or "open `port dir freetype`".

There are also some options that MacPorts sets for every port, which are not listed in the individual portfiles. For example, --prefix=/ opt/local (or whatever your MacPorts prefix is) is prepended to the configure arguments, -L/opt/local/lib and -I/opt/local/include are put into the LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS respectively, and the optimization level is set to -O2 (same as you'd have when building manually). MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is also set to the correct value for your version of Mac OS X. You can see all the configuration options and environment variables as they're used by compiling with the debug flag ("sudo port -d install freetype").

If you want to try different options, you can edit the freetype portfile. Your changes will be overwritten next time you sync or selfupdate.

If you want to retain your changes, you can copy the freetype portfile (and its files directory) to any other directory on your hard disk and make changes there. To install that version, "cd" to that directory in the terminal and type "sudo port install" (without specifying a port name; this will make MacPorts use the portfile in the current directory).