[ft-devel] xine-lib leaking memory (lot's) with freetype

From: Maximilian Schwerin
Subject: [ft-devel] xine-lib leaking memory (lot's) with freetype
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:59:58 +0100

Hi,

I've been tracking down a problem some people have been having with
oxine (a xine frontend) leaking lot's (MB/s) of memory.

What I found in the end was that if xine-lib is compiled with freetype
support enabled every time FT_Init_FreeType is called (and fails) in
osd.c freetype mallocs some memory that is not freed.

Because oxine calls osd_set_font frequently and the call to
FT_Init_FreeType fails every time more and more memory is lost leading
to oxine being killed in the end.

Disabling freetype solves this problem.

I know this is not really a problem of xine-lib, but I wanted to inform
you anyway. I'm CCing this to the freetype people as well.

Cheers, Maximilian

Ps: If I'm not mistaking (I've just had a look at the code of
FT_Init_FreeType) the memory that is allocated with FT_New_Memory is not
freed in case of a failed call to FT_New_Library.
--
Bamberger Str. 8 | 10777 Berlin | (0 30) 217 77 07 | address@hidden