Re: [ft-devel] failed to compile ftvalid.c

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] failed to compile ftvalid.c
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:25:46 +0900

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:04:45 +0900 (JST)
Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> wrote:

>>>FT_Free_Debug is called indirectly by FT_FREE to free various tables,
>>>which is no longer public. (and freetype reports leaks when use `free'
>>>, not FT_FREE, to free these tables)
>
>mpsuzuki, I don't have time now. Could you compare gxvalid with otvalid?

>  * @note:
>  *   This function only works with OpenType fonts, returning an error
>  *   otherwise.
>  *
>  *   After use, the application should deallocate the five tables with
>  *   `free'.  A NULL value indicates that the table either doesn't exist
>  *   in the font, or the application hasn't asked for validation.
>  */
>
>In otvalid, documents say `free' should be used.

I see. The usage of FT_ALLOC() and FT_FREE() is very same between
otvalid and gxvalid. Yet I'm not sure the reason why free() should
be used for tools using otvalid, I suppose it is to make FreeType
report the consumed memory for validation, by "memory leak" detection.
If it's correct, ftvalid should use free() instead of FT_FREE(),
to report the consumed memory for validation.

Werner, my supposition about "why tools using otvalid should use
free()" is right?

Regards,
mpsuzuki