Re: [ft-devel] failed to compile ftvalid.c

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] failed to compile ftvalid.c
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:04:45 +0900 (JST)

> >When compiling ftvalid.c, I get this error:
> >
> >ft2demos/obj/ftvalid.o: In function `run_ot_validator':
> >ft2demos/src/ftvalid.c:447: undefined reference to `FT_Free_Debug'
> >ft2demos/obj/ftvalid.o: In function `run_gx_validator':
> >ft2demos/src/ftvalid.c:498: undefined reference to `FT_Free_Debug'
> >ft2demos/obj/ftvalid.o: In function `run_ckern_validator':
> >ft2demos/src/ftvalid.c:566: undefined reference to `FT_Free_Debug'
> >
> >FT_Free_Debug is called indirectly by FT_FREE to free various tables,
> >which is no longer public. (and freetype reports leaks when use `free'
> >, not FT_FREE, to free these tables)

mpsuzuki, I don't have time now. Could you compare gxvalid with otvalid?

 /**********************************************************************
  *
  * @function:
  *    FT_OpenType_Validate
  *
  *    Validate various OpenType tables to assure that all offsets and
  *    indices are valid.  The idea is that a higher-level library which
  *    actually does the text layout can access those tables without
  *    error checking (which can be quite time consuming).
  *
  * @input:
  *    face ::
  *       A handle to the input face.
  *
  *    validation_flags ::
  *       A bit field which specifies the tables to be validated.  See
  *       @FT_VALIDATE_XXX for possible values.
  *
  * @output:
  *    BASE_table ::
  *       A pointer to the BASE table.
  *
  *    GDEF_table ::
  *       A pointer to the GDEF table.
  *
  *    GPOS_table ::
  *       A pointer to the GPOS table.
  *
  *    GSUB_table ::
  *       A pointer to the GSUB table.
  *
  *    JSTF_table ::
  *       A pointer to the JSTF table.
  *
  * @return:
  *   FreeType error code.  0 means success.
  *
  * @note:
  *   This function only works with OpenType fonts, returning an error
  *   otherwise.
  *
  *   After use, the application should deallocate the five tables with
  *   `free'.  A NULL value indicates that the table either doesn't exist
  *   in the font, or the application hasn't asked for validation.
  */

In otvalid, documents say `free' should be used.

So inspection with "grep otv ChangeLog | grep FT_Free" may be helpful.

Masatake