Re: [ft-devel] "comp" is reserved word in Apple SC compiler?

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] "comp" is reserved word in Apple SC compiler?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:16:18 +0900

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:29:51 +0900 (JST)
Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> wrote:

>> -    FMFont                the_font = NULL;
>> -    FMFontFamily          family   = NULL;
>> +    FMFont                the_font = ( FMFont ) NULL;
>> +    FMFontFamily          family   = ( FMFontFamily ) NULL;
>
>       FMFontFamily          family   = ( void* ) NULL;
>
>is not ok with the compiler?

Not enough. Speaking exactly, both of FMFont and FMFontFamily
in MPW are not pointer-type. I receive following errors:
    SC :src:base:ftmac.c -o :objs:ftmac.c.o \
                -ansi strict -includes unix \
                -i :include: -i :src: -sym off -model far
SC C Compiler 8.9.0d3e1
Copyright (C) 1985-2000 by Apple Computer, Inc.

    FMFont                the_font = ( void * ) NULL;
                                                    ^
File ":src:base:ftmac.c"; line 841 #Error: cannot implicitly convert
from: (void *)
to  : (unsigned long)
#-----------------------
    FMFontFamily          family   = ( void * ) NULL;
                                                    ^
File ":src:base:ftmac.c"; line 842 #Error: cannot implicitly convert
from: (void *)
to  : (short)

Now I think the exact solution for MPW might be:

        FMFont        the_font = 0;
        FMFontFamily  family   = 0;

I found that MacTypes.h defines NULL as following.
#ifndef NULL
    #if !defined(__cplusplus) && (defined(__SC__) || defined(THINK_C))
        /* Symantec C compilers (but not C++) want NULL and nil to be (void*)0
*/
        #define NULL ((void *) 0)
    #else
        /* in case int is 16-bits, make sure NULL is 32-bits */
        #define NULL 0L
    #endif
#endif

In the case that target CPU is PowerPC, NULL is defined to 0 in 32bit.
Therefore, when ftmac.c is compiled for MacOS on PowerPC, this problem
didn't arise. Unfortunately, Apple does not document about whether 0
is suitable for "undefined" or "unresolved" FMFont/FMFontFamily data.

In summary, I will replace "NULL" in the part by "0L".
How do you think of?

Regards,
mpsuzuki