RE: [ft-devel] "comp" is reserved word in Apple SC compiler?

From: George Williams
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] "comp" is reserved word in Apple SC compiler?
Date: 27 Oct 2005 17:36:40 -0700

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 10:38, Steven Johnson wrote:
> I think that compiler also had "extended" as a reserved word (as a
> 96-bit floating point type, to match Motorola hardware of the time).
I worked on an early version of the MPW compiler (when the work was
outsourced from Apple). There was indeed an "extended" datatype, but it
was an 80bit type.

Apple required its use to hold intermediate results (a = 3.0*f+4.0) got
evaluated with 80 bit temporaries and then converted back to double.
This had the nifty side effect that a compiler which conformed to
Apple's requirements failed ANSI-C's requirements (which required 64 bit
temporaries).