Re: [ft-devel] font file converter

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] font file converter
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:36:42 +0200 (CEST)

> I am looking for code I can incorporate into my product to convert
> OpenType font files to PostScript Type 1.  These are the main
> requirements:
>
> - At the very least, this should process OpenType (CFF-flavored,
> Type 1 outlines); OpenType CFF/CID is also important, and OpenType
> (TrueType) would be nice but not required.
> - When all is done, I want to have a Type 1 font file (.pfb or .pfa)
> and an AFM, including kerning information.

This sounds like FontForge used on the command line (see
http://fontforge.sf.net).  Note that such a conversion is not a
trivial thing.

> - This may be run on Windows, Solaris, AIX, or HP-UX -- for now.

AFAIK, FontForge can be compiled as a command-line tool on those
platforms.

> Is freetype2 an appropriate tool for the font conversion, or would
> it be overkill for this application?

It's the opposite IMHO: FreeType alone isn't powerful enough to do
that since our library's function is to *render* glyphs, not to
convert them into another format.