[ft-devel] font file converter

From: Mark DeVries
Subject: [ft-devel] font file converter
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:25:59 -0400

I am looking for code I can incorporate into my product to convert OpenType font files to PostScript Type 1. These are the main requirements:

- At the very least, this should process OpenType (CFF-flavored, Type 1 outlines); OpenType CFF/CID is also important, and OpenType (TrueType) would be nice but not required. - When all is done, I want to have a Type 1 font file (.pfb or .pfa) and an AFM, including kerning information.
- This may be run on Windows, Solaris, AIX, or HP-UX -- for now.
- Since we would ship this with each copy of the product, solutions that cost hundreds of dollars per system are out of the question. - We cannot ship alternative development environments with the product, so solutions based on Python or Java are not acceptable. That seems to leave (1) compiled tools in C or C++ and (2) Perl scripts. (We *do* ship Perl and ghostscript with the product.)

I have some tools that use Perl and ghostscript to produce an AFM from .pfb or .pfa -- but need something to convert the OpenType into that format.

Is freetype2 an appropriate tool for the font conversion, or would it be overkill for this application?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

--
*****  Mark.DeVries  A T  xyenterprise  D O T  com