Re: [Devel] Re: djgpp and uppercase vs. lowercase file names

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: djgpp and uppercase vs. lowercase file names
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:03:25 +0100

On Monday, November 22nd, 2004 13:56Z, Eli Zaretskii va escriure:

>> With NT, only %windir% is defined, no %winbootdir%.
>
> That's true, but DJGPP programs (being DOS programs, as far as Windows
> is concerned), do not see %windir%, since Windows removes it from the
> environment when it constructs the environment block for the DJGPP
> program.

Ah... You are correct, this is not what I expected but it does actually
happen this way. :-(

By the way, it looks like the culprit is NTVDM.EXE, i.e. the part of Windows
NT that does execute DOS, Windows 16 and DPMI programs (exacty the same
beast as dosemu). This includes COMMAND.COM and all DJGPP executables.

> So the best method to distinguish NT/W2K/XP from DOS and 9X is by
> looking at the %OS% environment variable.  See my other message in
> this thread.

Complete agreement here.

The problem is that I was missing the messages between Werner and you,
between 11/11 and 20/11. So I had a hard time really understanding what it
was about. Now I believe I got it fully.
I was believing it was related with the detection of long filenames in some
way. At it stands, it was not, it is just that 16-bit COPY (from NT
COMMAND.COM) do not create lowercase 8.3 names, quite another beast.
All the digression about how to recognize 9X was completely superflous,
then.

See also my answers to Werner about his new stuff.

Antoine