Re: [Devel] OpenType futures

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] OpenType futures
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:48:28 +0200 (CEST)

> > I strongly prefer the latter.
>
> I'm fine with this being a separate project, either within the
> freetype CVS or within fd.o.

Well, we have the otlayout CVS repository which should hold the
high-level stuff, and we have src/otlayout in the FreeType 2
repository for validation.  Ideally, the code in Masatake's branch is
reused in the otlayout library.

> Should the otlayout code work directly on the tables from the font
> file?  Or do we want to keep the way we currently have and parse a
> good part of the tables?  In the long term it sounds nicer to
> directly work on the unparsed tables.

IMHO the otlayout library should work on the unparsed but validated
tables.  Maybe the validation process can fill some basic structures
with important values (offsets, number of features, etc.) which speed
up the access.

Anyway, I don't object to moving the validation code completely to the
otlayout library if this has advantages, but somehow I have the
feeling that validation is really such a low-level operation that
separation from the otlayout library makes sense.