[Devel] Render in 128 instead of 256 gray levels ?

From: Sebastien BARRE
Subject: [Devel] Render in 128 instead of 256 gray levels ?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:13:07 -0500

Hi

Is there an easy way to have FreeType render a glyph using 128 gray levels (or 64, 32, a power of 2) instead of the standard 256 gray levels ?

Compile time option ?
Hack ?

Thank you

P.S.: I'm trying to render a text with a shadow and use it as a texture on a 3D plane, and use OpenGL and a lookup table to change the color of the text *and* the shadow separately. If could use a full color texture, but for efficiency reasons and space I'd like to use an 8 bits texture.