Re: [Devel] Hinter changes

From: Yaroslav Rastrigin
Subject: Re: [Devel] Hinter changes
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:45:05 +0400

Hi !
On Friday 05 September 2003 12:23, Turner David wrote:
> rendering (use the 'l' key to switch between rendering modes), though
> it doesn't filter the output (i.e. you'll see color fringes)
>
> Currently, both the automatic and Postscript hinters try to stem
> stem edges to integer positions when it makes sense (i.e. the edge
> isn't too small)
For subpixel AA this approach is far from the optimal.

> They are still experimental for now, but I'd appreciate if you could
> experiment with them in Xft. It should be a relatively trivial change
> to the sources.
I have played with freetype and Xft for some time, trying to improve subpixel
smoothing, my report is in FreeType-devel archives.
http://www.freetype.org/pipermail/devel/2003-June/009444.html

I'm still waiting for someone to either claim that my experiments and
conclusions are bullshit, or to express at least some kind of interest.

--
With all the best, yarick at relex dot ru.