Re: [Devel] Hinter changes

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Hinter changes
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:35:30 -0700

Around 23 o'clock on Sep 4, David Turner wrote:

> Additionnally, it's possible to force the use of the auto-hinter with the
> FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT flag when loading glyphs. I don't remember precisely
> what configuration option in fontconfig or Xft can be used..

Set the autohint value to true:

        $ xfd -fa serif:autohint=true

Applications can set the FC_AUTOHINT boolean to FcTrue.

> Did you update to the latests fontconfig/libXft2. If not, the explanation
> could come from the fact that the first LCD-optimized algorithm in Xft used
> some intrisic properties of the auto and postscript hinter (i.e. that stem
> widths were always integer pixels) that changed in later released (because
> allowing fractional widths also increases shape consistency significantly).

Xft's LCD mode hasn't changed, so non-integer stem widths will still look
horrible.  It might be nice to have an option that made the auto-hinter
bail on shape consistency and keep stems snapped to integer pixels like
the instructed TT hinter usually does.  Is it possible for the autohinter
to adjust diagonal and curved elements of the glyph to match the snapped
stems?

-keith