Re: [Devel] 'tension' in splines, Hermite Splines [Re: Rendering (by Fre

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: [Devel] 'tension' in splines, Hermite Splines [Re: Rendering (by FreeType) and hinting of Latin small 'a']
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:55:57 +0200

Rogier van Dalen wrote:

> >|  As you say, the number of "operations" is the important thing. I am right
> >|  now working on a compiler which takes something looking like C and
> >| produces TT instructions. Without delta hints, I use about 20 to 40 lines
> >| per glyph, which compile to about 10 times those amount of bytes in the
> >| instructions. IMO, a few thousand lines per font can be coded.
> >
> >Ah, cool!
> >When do you plan to release first Beta?
> >
> In a few weeks' time, I hope. As soon as the code produced is reasonable
> optimised and correct, and documented.

For the record, my TTX tool contains a TT disassembler/assembler. It's not a
nice format, since there's only so much you can do when all you have is byte
code... Maybe it's helpful as a reference implementation. Have a look at
http://fonttools.sourceforge.net/. It's all written in Python. OpenSource.

Just