Re: [Devel] FreeType2PDF?

From: Lance Dyas
Subject: Re: [Devel] FreeType2PDF?
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:08:32 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leonard Rosenthol" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 9:26 AM

> At 7:44 AM -0500 7/3/02, Lance Dyas wrote:
> >At MicroImages we are using FreeType1.x and we are in the process of
> >enhancing our pdf export to include text/fonts (we are somewhat behind
but
> >are rather dependent on features in Freetype1 including Glyph Positioning
> >Tables).
>
> There is nothing that I am aware of that is available in FT1
> that you can't get to from FT2...

The various functions in OpenTypeLayout  extension arent available and a
must have for
international support.

> >There seem to be a number of required fields for Font Descriptor in the
pdf
> >specification that are either buried or obsfucated within FreeType.
> >
> True...
>
> >StemV: The thickness, measured horizontally, of the dominant vertical
stems
> >of glyphs in the font.
>
> My code just forces this to 80 for some reason...Need to look
> at why this was done...

hmmm it struck us as odd that this would be a required field even when one
is embedding the full font file in the PDF. It seems it would get ignored.
Too bad pdf wasnt developed as an open format the way svg was.

> >ItalicAngle: The angle expressed in degrees counterclockwise from the
> >vertical... etc.
>
> I get this value from TT_Face->postscript.italicAngle

 Thanks.

A while back in the list Archives you mentioned the idea of rewriting your
code under the FreeType banner, have you anything shareable or did that
project fall to the wayside. Or is it only workable within FreeType2 now.

If not atleast you are available to answer my ahem "silly" questions.;-)

Lance Dyas