Re: [Devel] FreeType2PDF?

From: Lance Dyas
Subject: Re: [Devel] FreeType2PDF?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:52:30 -0500

 I've been gone on vacation since, Thanks for your responses.

> At 10:08 AM -0500 7/3/02, Lance Dyas wrote:
> >The various functions in OpenTypeLayout  extension arent available and a
> >must have forinternational support.
>
> The information is there, just not exported via standard API.

Effectively the same for those using the API and who dont have the time to
rewrite.
 It inhibits our upgrade path. ;-(

> >hmmm it struck us as odd that this would be a required field even when
one
> >is embedding the full font file in the PDF. It seems it would get
ignored.

> Because you might be doing a subset and could potentially
> leave that out - but I agree with you.
>

> >Too bad pdf wasnt developed as an open format the way svg was.
>
> Oh, I disagree!  I think it's a VERY GOOD THING that PDF
> wasn't developed in the same way SVG was - or it would not be where
> it is today.

Raw coorporate impetus can certainly make for speed.

 As someone who was involved with SVG back in 1996/1997
> when it was still PGML, and has followed the process since - trust me
> on this one!!

Ahh... I come in on the tail end of it...  and like the results not seeing
the process
I attribute success to it.

> It was always an FT2-only solution, but yes, I have been
> working on other things right now and haven't spent time on this one
> (though I keep hoping to find a client willing to hire me to do it -
> see http://www.pdfsages.com).

Well any hints for those trapped in FT1.3. ;-) would be appreciated. For the
most part I am trying to create the FontDescriptor and getting headaches. If
I leave it out entirely(not very useful) Acrobat Reader atleast renders
using default Helvetica and complains about having a bad FontBBox.  At this
time I am pretty much targetting truetype fonts only, due to limitations
elsewhere in our software.

Acrobat Reader gives terrible error messages by the way. "There was a
problem reading this document"  is pretty uninformative.

Anyway Thanks.
Lance Dyas