Solution to problems with dgettext@@SUNW_0.7 and freetype 1.3.1 ?

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Solution to problems with dgettext@@SUNW_0.7 and freetype 1.3.1 ?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:07:58 -0500 (EST)

I am beginning to suspect that the people who have been having problems
with dgettext@@SUNW_0.7 when compiling freetype 1.3.1 on Solaris 2.7
are using GNU's ld instead of /usr/ccs/bin/ld (as the linker for gcc).

I just compiled freetype 1.3.1 on a Solaris 2.7 box using gcc 2.95.2
w/o a hitch, but gcc was compiled to use Sun's linker instead of GNU's
linker.   I did not have to specify --disable-nls as an option for
configure.

But then again, when I ran configure, I also got this message:

    found xgettext program is not GNU xgettext; ignore it

and when I installed, I got this message:

    xgettext not available: freetype.pot not updated

So I thought that installing GNU xgettext might trigger the problem (why I
thought
that, I don't know. :)  Anyway, it didn't.

So, in conclusion, the only difference I can think of between the people who are
having problems and me is that I am using Sun's ld, and those who are having
problems
are using GNU's ld.

Let me know if this sounds completely absurd.

Tom