freesci-develop

Re: [freesci-develop] Testing graphics drawn by FreeSCI drivers

From: Christoph Reichenbach
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Testing graphics drawn by FreeSCI drivers
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:32:03 -0700

Alex,

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:13:46PM -0000, Alex Angas wrote:
> I ended up not trying to use fsci.dll as a shared library and added all of
> the source files into the gfx_test project. This is messy but at least I can
> get it to run now - it just crashes when trying to free unallocated
> pixmap->data. I'm not sure if fixing this will uncover another problem, etc.
> like going down a rabbit warren when we are moving to glutton
> anyway.

  Unfortunately, I don't expect that I will have time to look into
this in sufficient detail before the weekend.

> I'm trying to toss up what to do as I'm back at work Monday and won't have
> much spare time again. Should I use SCI Studio instead to create a test game
> for graphics to save time and will that work with FreeSCI? Will things 'work
> better' if I port the DirectX driver to glutton? I'm not sure if there is a
> working Visual Studio project/solution for glutton and that needs to be
> checked/tested. I would really appreciate your guidance.

  The main problem with glutton IIRC is that it is not set up properly
for Visual Studio/Win32.  So getting it to work there IMO would be the
most important part.  Getting the DirectX driver to work there should
then be simple, since IIRC the gfx driver API did not change.

  I will try to take a bit of time off on saturday to see whether I
can stabilise the stable gfx_test (or figure out if it has differences
to the glutton one that should be backported).

  So here's my proposal-- feel free to adjust it to your liking:
  - Get glutton working on Win32
  - Import DirectX driver
  - Hope for me to figure out what's wrong with gfx_test so that we
    can test the driver in more detail

-- Christoph