freesci-develop

Re: [freesci-develop] Questions about the sound system

From: Jordi Vilalta
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Questions about the sound system
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 00:16:24 +0100

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your fast and complete answers :)

2008/1/10, Christoph Reichenbach:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 05:10:18PM +0100, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> > - the sequencer prepares the device midi commands
>
>   Sometimes.  The sequencer accepts MIDI commands and translates them
> into appropriate data for the respective device.  (For the MT-32, it
> leaves the events untranslated.  For the adlib emulator, it modifies
> some state.)

This is another doubt I had. Which soundtracks are defined on the data
files? Does it depend on each game? Or there's just one soundtrack and
the sequencers adapt it for each driver? From what you say, one can
understand that all games have a native MT-32 soundtrack. What about
general midi?

> > Am I missing something, or did I get it totally wrong? Any comment
> > will be welcome.
>
>   It's been a while, but I think that you have a pretty good idea of
> how it works.  I hope that I've filled in the biggest gaps above!  I
> do apologise for never properly documenting the sound subsystem-- this
> was on my to-do list, but I never got around to it.

Now at least there's an archived mail for reference :P

Thanks again!

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta