freesci-develop

[freesci-develop] Questions about the sound system

From: Jordi Vilalta
Subject: [freesci-develop] Questions about the sound system
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:10:18 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to get the big picture of how the FreeSCI sound system
works, and I have several questions. I've just done a high level look
at this and it looks like there are two separate paths:

For native sequencers:
  realtime_player -> seq -> device

And for emulated sequencers:
  polled_player -> soft_seq -> mixer -> pcm_device

Is this right?

What I may be missing here is how sound effects are played when using
a native sequencer. Is it sent by the realtime_player to the mixer? Is
it a completely different path?

Then, for each part:
- the iterator is the one who decides what has to be played and sends
it to the corresponding player.
- the player gets the result from the sequencer and sends it to the device
- the sequencer prepares the device midi commands
- the device just plays the midi commands
- the soft_seq outputs the pcm stream corresponding to the emulated sound
- the mixer just mixes pcm streams and sends the output to the pcm_device
- the pcm_device just plays a pcm stream

Am I missing something, or did I get it totally wrong? Any comment
will be welcome.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta