freeride-devel

RE: [FR-devel] Update (such as it is)

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Update (such as it is)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:34:18 -0500

Hal Fulton wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
> You recall I've undertaken the task of building an infrastructure
> for refactoring in FreeRIDE.
>
> It appears more and more painful as time goes on. In the interests
> of having something halfway interesting accomplished by Nov 14,
> I've made some simplifiying assumptions:
>
> 1. This will be based off the fxscintilla test program, not
> FreeRIDE itself. This avoids the heavy CVS changes and so on, much
> of which would be backed out anyway.
>
> 2. This also means I'm not implementing it as a plugin. I think it
> might end up as more than one plugin anyway. I'm also not using the
> databus.
>
> 3. There won't be a full parser in it. I'm too lazy, too rushed, and
> I'm parser-phobic. I'm using a combination of Rich's BasicParser, irb's
> lexer, and some black magic and handwaving.

Whatever is the lowest overhead way for you to get this started is just
fine. I can see how, in this way, you can concentrate of your main task
without getting bogged down in the details of the Databus. Once you have
something you think is sufficiently up-to-snuff, it can always be reworked
as a plug-in (as long as you are being careful to keep you gui code
separated from your refactoring code).

> Progress so far:
>
> - a rudimentary editor layer with some Ruby-like features (e.g., line -1
>    is the last line of the file)
> - very clumsy parsing (identifying classes, modules, methods, local
>    vars, etc.)
>
> The plan is to get a framework in place and demonstrate how to create
> a few simple refactoring and code-assist scripts.
>
> Wish me luck.

I'm glad you are doing this!  Definitely, good luck!!!

Curt