freeride-devel

[FR-devel] Update (such as it is)

From: Hal Fulton
Subject: [FR-devel] Update (such as it is)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:11:59 -0500

Hello, all.

You recall I've undertaken the task of building an infrastructure
for refactoring in FreeRIDE.

It appears more and more painful as time goes on. In the interests
of having something halfway interesting accomplished by Nov 14,
I've made some simplifiying assumptions:

1. This will be based off the fxscintilla test program, not
FreeRIDE itself. This avoids the heavy CVS changes and so on, much
of which would be backed out anyway.

2. This also means I'm not implementing it as a plugin. I think it
might end up as more than one plugin anyway. I'm also not using the
databus.

3. There won't be a full parser in it. I'm too lazy, too rushed, and
I'm parser-phobic. I'm using a combination of Rich's BasicParser, irb's
lexer, and some black magic and handwaving.

Progress so far:

- a rudimentary editor layer with some Ruby-like features (e.g., line -1
  is the last line of the file)
- very clumsy parsing (identifying classes, modules, methods, local
  vars, etc.)

The plan is to get a framework in place and demonstrate how to create
a few simple refactoring and code-assist scripts.

Wish me luck.

Hal