freeride-devel

[FR-devel] New List Member

From: walter
Subject: [FR-devel] New List Member
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:53:02 -0500

Hi Everyone,

My name is Walter Szewelanczyk and I live in Topsham, Maine (usa).  I
have been doing software work for the past decade or so.  I started
off in machine/assembly language, then c/pascal, then c++ for a
while.  Most recently I have been using Java since it was in alpha
state and I enjoy it.

I was travelling with my wife last week and since we had a long plane
ride, I picked up the Pragmatic Programmer's Ruby book on Friday.  I
read it that day and played with my first Ruby program saturday
morning.  The language looks to be exactly what I am looking for.  It
has built in many of the things that I have been adding to my tool
chest, over the last several years, in Java and quite frankly its
hard to beat its dynamic flavor.

My problem is that I am so spoiled by the Java IDE, Intellij IDEA,
that even though the Ruby language is superior to Java the Intellij
IDEA is just so good, that it is difficult to leave.  It seems that
FreeRide is looking to fill this basic gap.  I do plan to start using
Ruby regularly and will hopefully be able to contribute to this
project.

If anyone wants some help, albeit slow at first, please feel free to
send me an email.

The top five things that I miss the most are :
1.) Code completion
2.) Full syntax highlighting
3.) The ability to rename items
4.) The ability to navigate to the source code of a different class
      item even (if it is in a different file)
5.) The ability to warn of a missing method and automatically create
       a method when doing TDD.

Thanks,

Walt

P.S.  If anyone knows of other Ruby programmers in Maine, I'd love to
talk to them.
Walter Szewelanczyk
IS Director
M.W. Sewall & CO.        email : address@hidden
259 Front St.            Phone : (207) 442-7994 x 128
Bath, ME 04530           Fax   : (207) 443-6284