Re: [pooma-dev] FW: Questions about data in Fields

From: William Nystrom
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] FW: Questions about data in Fields
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:0:43 -0600

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.  I am trying to interface to a linear solver package that is written
in f77.  This is a package that I have used alot in the past and am very familiar with.  I
talked with you 2-3 years ago about the interface to this package with the idea of trying
to interface to Pooma 1.  But I never really had time to pursue that work.  Now I am
trying to interface to this package using Pooma 2.  I talked with Jim about this when John
and I came down to Proximation a couple of months ago.  I don't know if I can describe
the interface well enough for you to follow it or for that matter, even if it is worthwhile
at this stage.  My ultimate goal is to be able to call this package with the minimum amount
of data copying but right now, John and I have compromised on doing some extra copying.
Fundamentally, what I need to pass to this fortran linear solver package is the address of
the beginning of the chunk of data on a processor.  The data must be contiguous.  So, this
means that the data cannot have any guard cells.  Also, I would presume that it means that
I can only have 1 vnode or patch per processor.  We were wanting to use Pooma 2 Fields
for all this work.  All of our current physics code uses Pooma 2 Fields.  So there was a
desire to be able to use Pooma 2 Fields for this work as well rather than having to use
arrays.

I don't know if this is really answering any of your questions but I have to go for now.
I'll give this some more thought and perhaps respond some more to your email.

Thanks,

Dave