Re: [pooma-dev] status report

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] status report
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 09:37:21 -0600

On Friday, July 6, 2001, at 05:33 PM, Allan Stokes wrote:

I think the only way to achieve a significant simplification here is
to have less determination to make C++ do exactly what you want it to do.

Allan,

I think we need to re-evaluate what we *really* need out of domains and, out of this evaluation, will come the simplification. If we decide that we have a requirement that necessitates the use of fancy C++, so be it. However, I do not believe that all of the domain complexity can be justified on the basis of real requirements. In particular, I know that domains, and a lot of the early implementation of POOMA 2.4 was an exploration of what is required to support extreme generality. The problem is that experience has shown that a lot of this generality is not needed and is accounting for longer compile times, worse performance, and code bloat. Specifically, I think it is fair to say that between POOMA itself and Tecolote, a reasonable number of the usage patterns for domains have been enumerated. It is worth cataloging these since this will, largely, expose the real requirements.

Consider the question of working around the non-zero-size base class problem. When do you need to solve this. I believe that this is an issue for small value types like Vector or Tensor. The reason is that you may put a billion of these in an array and you'd just as soon not waste N billion bytes. Do we ever plan to put a billion Loc, Interval, or Range objects in anything? No. Therefore, *independent of whether compilers provide support or not*, it doesn't matter if a base class wastes some space. This is not a requirement and we don't have to pay the price of complexity to supply this feature.

Scott

--
Scott W. Haney
Development Manager