status report

From: Allan Stokes
Subject: status report
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 16:33:18 -0700

Hello,

This week I completed a code review of the Domain constructors and most of
NewDomain.  This constitutes roughly half of the Domain conceptual
documentation.  Most of the Domain notation which impacts the Pooma user
derives from the constructor policies.

This week I lost another day to back spasms after having had two really good
weeks.  Eighteen hours in bed.  Not fun.

A month ago when my back was causing me problems I purchased a thick
visco-elastic pad to make my existing bed less firm and that seemed to solve
the problem.  It's a very hot material to sleep on so I've been keeping my
eyes open to find something better.  Last weekend I purchased a bed which
has three layers of the same visco-elastic material built into a thick top
pad under a breathable cover.  I figured I would get the same benefit with
less discomfort.  Unfortunately my back strain has slowly returned since I
changed beds and none of my adjustments have helped.

Despite my decrepitude of late I feel my Pooma work is going well at long
last.  I'm enjoying finding my way around the Domain code.  It seems
excessively complicated no matter where you dive in, but I haven't yet found
any complexity which could easily be sacrificed once you determine the root
force.  I think the only way to achieve a significant simplification here is
to have less determination to make C++ do exactly what you want it to do.

This weekend I'll catch up on the day I lost.  I'll post my commentary on
the domain constructors Monday and I'll have the first draft of my
conceptual documentation for all of Domain finished by the end of next week.

Allan