Re: [pooma-dev] RFA: delete_test1 Modifications

From: Julian Cummings
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] RFA: delete_test1 Modifications
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:59:46 -0700

Jeffrey,

This patch seems OK to me.  There is a problem with respect
to the SGI CC compiler because they do not provide standard
new-style C headers to wrap C library stuff in the std namespace.

Michael Aivazis and I once looked into the idea of creating
replacements for the missing new-style headers.  The most
straightforward idea is, for example

// replacement for file <ctime>
namespace std {
#include <time.h>
}

This works for everything except <cmath>, for very arcane
reasons.  The successful alternative we came up with is

// better replacement for file <ctime>
#include <time.h>

namespace std {
// declare items from C library in namespace std
using ::clock_t;
using ::time_t;
// etc. etc.
}

We have these files checked into our Caltech VTF
repository.  If no one objects, I'd like to bring these
over and put them in a new directory src/arch/SGI.
Then I can edit the SGIN32CC.conf and SGI64CC.conf
files and add a -I flag for this platform-specific set
of include files.  The gcc and KCC compilers can ignore
these new headers, of course.  This should allow us to
use new-style C headers and the std namespace in the
standard way even with the SGI CC compiler.

Julian C.

--
Dr. Julian C. Cummings                       E-mail: address@hidden
California Institute of Technology           Phone:  626-395-2543