RE: [pooma-dev] CompressibleBrickView's makeOwnCopy

From: James Crotinger
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] CompressibleBrickView's makeOwnCopy
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:55:58 -0700

> I'd just like to make it clear that I am not trying to
> instantiate the View1
> class.  Instead, I am only trying to explicitly instantiate what the
> prelinker does which is:
>
> View1<Field<T1, T2, T3>, T4>::sv

One question - is sv even supposed to be public? It is a "static const bool" (so this is what I'd call a definition, not a preinstantiation, but that's a nit). I'm guessing sv is not really supposed to be exported, or we would have given it a more meaningful name. Rather, it looks like it is just a shortcut to simplify the rest of the code. We do this all the time with typedefs, which I've always assumed had no great cost in compile time. It is rare to do it with const parameters like this, but it is done to improve readability. I guess I had always figured that the compiler would optimize the definition away (would it if it were private?). Anyway, if it isn't supposed to be public, we could make it go away altogether.

        Jim