Re: [pooma-dev] RFA: Patch: Miscellaneous Array, Engine, and Field Chang

From: Dave Nystrom
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] RFA: Patch: Miscellaneous Array, Engine, and Field Changes
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:48:54 -0600 (MDT)

Jeffrey Oldham writes:
 > On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 11:23:46AM -0600, Dave Nystrom wrote:
 > >
 > > Do your changes fix the problems I was reporting with instantiation and
 > > also
 > > compiling for parallel with Cheetah?
 >
 > No, they attempt to fix difficulties I found when investigating on
 > your explicit instantiation problem, but I still have not solved that
 > problem.  Scott Haney put your explicit instantiation problem in the
 > short list of tasks to solve, but higher priority was finishing
 > thinking about operators.
 >
 > I'm building Pooma on Irix6.5 using g++ and KCC right now to see if I
 > can flush out more problems and then use KCC's error messages to see
 > if I can make more progress on your difficulties.  For you, does the
 > Cheetah problem have higher or lower priority than the explicit
 > instantiation problem?

The Cheetah problem is higher priority because it is keeping us from building
a parallel version of the code and I think we need to start running in
parallel as soon as possible.  However, I think that problem will be easy to
solve - because I think it is just a matter of a missing function or
something like that.  But I'm not sure.  Stephen Smith might have some
perspective on this.

Solving the explicit instantiation problem will allow me to complete some
work on trying to optimize/reduce compile times that developers see.  That is
something that is very important to me but is lower priority than fixing the
problems that are keeping us from building a parallel version of our code to
test.

Thanks for the update.

--
Dave Nystrom                    email: address@hidden
LANL X-3                        phone: 505-667-7913     fax: 505-665-3046