RE: [pooma-dev] Testing Pooma Code Using Explicit Instantiations?

From: James Crotinger
Subject: RE: [pooma-dev] Testing Pooma Code Using Explicit Instantiations?
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 13:49:27 -0700

> Hi Jim,
>
> Don't you really mean here that there are parts of Pooma 2
> that were designed
> in a way that precludes instantiating the whole class for a
> given set of
> template parameters whether it is done explicitly or
> otherwise?  It seems
> important to me to make that distinction because the compiler only
> instantiates the actual methods that are referenced and if
> the compiler can
> instantiate a given templated method with specific template
> parameters, then
> it should be possible to explicitly instantiate the same
> method with the same
> template parameters.

That is, at least in theory, correct. Few things make my head hurt as bad as trying to understand all the template instantiation rules, though, so whether this is true in practice or not is difficult to say. This is not a particularly easy thing to test - perhaps getting your scripts for doing this would help perform this test.

        Jim