Re: [fluid-dev] Expose LADSPA functions via FluidSynth API

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Expose LADSPA functions via FluidSynth API
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:23:28 +0100

> I would like to expose some (or most) of the public functions in src/bindings/fluid_ladspa.h as a public API.

Ok. And what would be its main purpose? Enable the user to manipulate synth->ladspa_fx or create custom ladspa_fx units to manually render audio by calling fluid_ladspa_run() ?

> I guess we need to mock those functions if LADSPA isn't available to keep the ABI stable?

Correct, by returning NULL or FLUID_FAILED. However #ifdef LADSPA should be placed inside fluid_ladspa.c, I want to keep that as opaque as possible.

Tom

Hi all (and especially Tom),

I would like to expose some (or most) of the public functions in src/bindings/fluid_ladspa.h as a public API. Now I'm wondering how to do that, given the fact that LADSPA can be disabled at compile time. I guess we need to mock those functions if LADSPA isn't available to keep the ABI stable?

So my current idea is the following:
 - create include/fluidsynth/ladspa.h
 - include it in include/fluidsynth.h
 - in ladspa.h, use an #ifdef LADSPA to declare the public API functions, with an #else block that declares the same functions with empty function bodies (or return FLUID_FAILED, where appropriate)

Does that sound like a good idea or is there a better way to do that?

Cheers,

    Marcus