[fluid-dev] Should playback_callback receive MIDI file events?

From: jimmy
Subject: [fluid-dev] Should playback_callback receive MIDI file events?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:16:12 -0700 (PDT)

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 21:26:59 Matt Giuca <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> This continues a discussion started in the bug ticket #101
> (
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ticket/101)
> (between myself and
> David Henningson).
>
> Recently, a feature was added allowing the user of the FS
> API to register a
> custom playback_callback function, which is called every
> time a MIDI event
> fires.
>
> At present, I *think*, this callback receives only MIDI
> channel and sysex
> events, not meta events.
>
> . . . [snipped] . . .
>
> The question is: should they. The default callback will
> ignore them anyway,
> so it doesn't matter. But does anybody who's used their own
> custom callbacks
> have any opinion on this one way or another? Would you like
> to receive meta
> events such as copyright strings, and tempo changes? Will
> this break any
> existing callbacks?

Please do send all events (including meta events).  Perhaps you don't need them
with your Midi files, but I have work with Midi segments that changes tempo
(perhaps even time signature 3/4 <-> 4/4) on the fly.  So looping back will
need the meta events (tempo...) to play properly.  There are other meta events,
too.

If you think the extra "setup time" may take too long for your usage, perhaps
an option to specify whether to play all events, or allow omitting of certain
event type(s).

Jimmy