Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:00:54 -0400

On Sep 13, 2011, at 3:58 AM, David Henningsson wrote:

There are two dimensions here. First, there is the issue of whether we can take action against App Store, and that depends on how we interpret the LGPL, and second, whether we actually proceed with taking that action, which depends on our spirit, soul, moral, and all that.

For the first dimension, it is not obvious to me whether we can or not, but it seems likely, especially if we, as you say, "bend a little or force the letter". So the precondition for taking the app down seems to me to be fulfilled.

You're right in that many of us dislike Apple's attempts to lock the platform (myself included), and that it is important not to let that cloud our judgements when we need to decide what's best for the project. But regardless of what we think of Apple, and if bringing that app down means harm or good to the project, it just takes one of all copyright holders to raise a complaint to bring the app down. That includes all copyright holders in the past which we know nothing about.

This actually comes down to another question. Does the project need to protect itself from that scenario? If so, we need to relicense FluidSynth, e g under BSD or under GPL with Classpath exception. That is done by asking the contributors we can get hold of to relicense, and rewriting the code for people that refuse or that we can't get in contact with.

So which is worse? Relicensing and rewriting parts of FluidSynth, or denying FluidSynth for iPhone/iPad users?

If you ask me, I will personally not commit to doing the job of contacting copyright holders and ripping out code that does not fulfil the new decided license. I will, however, prefer to relicense my own contributions if the option is to have my own code ripped out.

David

Are we moving on to a new topic here ? Specifically, there are people on this list who want to submit FS to the Apple App Store ?

"Ripping out code" ? ? That is a drastic compromise in my opinion.

If so, I think it would be only fair to contact the previous project leads Peter Hanappe (the original inventor) and Josh Green (whom many on the list already "know" for his significant contributions) for their opinions. I can do so when needed.

Ebrahim