Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced

From: Graham Goode
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Another application using FluidSynth announced
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 09:33:44 +0200

Hi,

It would seem that Mobile Apps are a different licensing ball game
that the GPL and LGPL simply can't deal with effectively. Creating an
Android app and uploading it to market.android.com also entails
agreeing to a license that it different to the GPL and so would also
'modify' the GPL terms to an extent that could be said to break the
license...

You pay your US$25.00 developer fee, and agree to the Android Market
Developer Distribution Agreement ....

I have no idea what hoops Blackberry apps have to go through....

In my opinion we need a better GPL license to deal with this new
distribution market, as there are millions of users out there using
these devices, and who will only get applications through their
respective app stores.  This is the reality, and the number of app
users is only going to increase. Here in South Africa there are
already more people using 'Smart Phones' than computers for Internet
usage. As Android Tablet devices become more available I expect that
soon more people will be using 'Smart Devices' than traditional PCs.
The environment has changed and GPL has been left behind.

Just my 2c more...

GrahamG