Re: [fluid-dev] License question

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] License question
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:01:00 +0100

On 2011-02-18 04:52, S. Christian Collins wrote:
I have a licensing question about FluidSynth. Let's say I'm creating a
closed-source DAW, and I want to include a VSTi SoundFont synth based on
FluidSynth. If I create the VSTi synth as a separate, GPL-licensed
plugin with available source code, can I sell the DAW software with the
FluidSynth VSTi bundled?

(This answer is given with the "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer.)

I believe no, because your GPL:ed plugin would interfere with the closed-source DAW before even bringing FluidSynth into the picture. As Matt pointed out, FluidSynth is LGPL, which makes things not impossible but a little tricky. Here are two links that you might find useful:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2010-10/msg00043.html

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2010-10/msg00045.html

...that is, if ASIO and VST has similar license restrictions, the same reasoning would apply.

Let me also point out that if there was a FluidSynth VSTi, that would be a very nice addition to FluidSynth!