Re: CMake (was Re: [fluid-dev] Voice renderer, and fluid_voice_t)

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: CMake (was Re: [fluid-dev] Voice renderer, and fluid_voice_t)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:12:22 +0200

On Thursday, June 24, 2010, Elimar Green wrote:
> I'm also not very familiar with CMake.  When running the curses based
> interface it seems fairly slick once you are used to it, as there are some
> rather unintuitive things about that interface.  It also is rather
> unintuitive how to get access to the curses interface in the first place.

I've added a README.cmake file to the repository providing a brief overview
about CMake in general, and specifically for FluidSynth. Here is an excerpt:

There are also several alternative CMake front-ends, if you don't want to use
the command line interface:
* ncurses based program, for Linux and Unix: ccmake
* GUI, Qt4 based program, multiplatform: cmake-gui
* GUI, Windows native program: CMakeSetup.exe

> Once someone is used to CMake though, it seems like it could be pretty
> smooth from the user's end of things.  I'm all for supporting both.  There
> isn't a lot of work at this point that needs to be done to maintain the
> autotools method.  A lot of the complexity of that system went away when
> things went the pkg-config direction.  So lets just support both for now.
> We can always throw away the autotools method at another time, if it seems
> useless.
>
> Elimar

I agree about keeping both build systems for now. I offer again my help, if
anybody needs support with the new buildsystem.

About the CMake front-ends, I prefer cmake-gui over the ccmake ncurses. The
command line one is faster but for FluidSynth, where you can choose a lot of
options, the cmake-gui is a winner.

Regards,
Pedro