[fluid-dev] Sound questions

From: Bernd Casper
Subject: [fluid-dev] Sound questions
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:21:25 +0200

Hello,

I'm no programmer and completely new to this list. So first I want to thank all of the people contributing to FluidSynth since years, it's a really great tool for developing musical instruments like me. I'm member of the jOrgan list, and constructing FS based church organs freely available on my webspace bca.free-artists.net, for more than two years now. I specialize in soundfonts construction.

Forgive me if my questions may seem like nonsense for you - I've not the slightest idea about the inner world of FS. I've only my ears.

- A polyphony question: How does the cutout mechanism work? In my organs, using one instance of FS, I cannot start more than 7 instruments (ranks). I experimented several polyphony settings, but this seems not to change anything.

- I use an 88 keys keyboard for sound construction. The highest regions of the sound are slightly more thin and sharp ("sweet" spectre), compared with lower regions of the keyboard. I tried to work around this by sample construction, but had only less success. Is is possible to have the sound rendered more "full spectre" in the uppest two-and-a-half octaves of the keyboard?

Many thanks again for your great work.

Kind Regards
Bernd Casper, Germany.